Grading and Work Policies for Mrs. Stevens's ELA Classes
- All assignments and tests must be completed in PENCIL or BLUE/BLACK ERASABLE PEN. Please erase mistakes instead of crossing out answers and turn in neat work.
- If your work is incomplete or too sloppy to read, it will not be graded. A zero will go in the grade book until you have finished or redone the assignment. 10 points will be deducted from the grade once you’ve resubmitted.
- Intervention time is provided every morning from 7:38-7:55. Please see me for help during that time if you struggled with your assignment. This will help you learn instead of just guessing, and your homework grades will be higher.
- Late homework has 10 points deducted when it is submitted. If the end of the quarter is near, there is an absolute cut-off for all late work, which will be given in class each quarter. You are responsible for checking your grades and turning in missing work; it is not my job to nag you!
- Three homework zeroes in one quarter results in detention. Each subsequent missed assignment earns you a detention. If you miss homework, you must fill in a line on your page in the missing homework binder.
- Following an absence, you are responsible for seeing me during intervention the next day to get work you missed and make arrangements to make up tests/quizzes. Please don’t wait until class.
- Anyone caught copying from another student or plagiarizing will receive a zero on the assignment and will receive a detention or stricter punishment, as outlined in the student handbook. Zeroes resulting from cheating/plagiarizing will stand and work cannot be redone for credit.
- Independent reading/Accelerated Reader points will be scored using the scale on the A.R. handout. You MUST fill out an AR slip before taking a quiz and hand it to me or else the points will not count!
- Grading Scales:
- Homework (15%) a. Homework (15%)
- In-class work/lit. analysis (30%) b. In-class work/Informal writing (20%)
- Tests and Quizzes (40%) c. Grammar Quizzes (15%)
- Independent Reading/AR (15%) d. Formal Writing (35%)
e. Vocabulary Quizzes/Chunks (15%)