MIAMI EAST LOCAL SCHOOLS
Review of January 11, 2005
REORGANIZATION MEETING BOARD MEETING
Mark Davis, board president, called the regular meeting to order at 7:00 p.m., held at Miami East Elementary School. The country was honored by the Pledge of Allegiance.
Roll Call was taken with board members Brad Burton, Mark Davis, Rusty Miller, Harold Brumfield and Lucy Taylor in attendance.
Carolyn Grimm presented cards and appreciation to the Miami East Board of Education on behalf of the Miami East Education Association in recognition of School Board Month.
RE-ORGANIZE AND ELECT OFFICERS FOR 2005:
a) President – Mark Davis
b) Vice-President – Brad Burton
c) Approval of Regular Monthly Board Meetings to be held:
Date: 3rd Tuesday of each month, except January (4th Tuesday)
Time: 7:00 P.M.
Place: Miami East K-8 School
d) Committee Appointments for 2005:
1) OSBA (Legislative Liaison) – Brad Burton
2) M.V.C.T.C. – Mark Davis
3) Athletic Council – Rusty Miller
4) Facilities – Harold Brumfield
5) Alumni Hall of Fame – Mark Davis
6) Miami East Foundation – Rusty Miller
7) Audit Committee – All members of the Miami East BOE
A. Review Alternative Tax Budget Document - Addendum #1
B. Approval to authorize contractual payments, authorize payments of bills,
borrow funds, request advance of taxes and invest funds for 2005. Addendum #2
C. Approval of “A Resolution Declaring The Intention To Proceed Under
The Alternative Tax Document Format Provided Under Section 5705.281 Of The
Ohio Revised Code And To Refrain From The Preparation Of A Tax Budget For
The Fiscal Year 2006, And Authorizing and Directing The Chief Fiscal Officer
Of The Miami East Local School Board Of Education To Prepare And To Submit
To The Miami County Budget Commission Such Information And Documents As
Are Necessary Incident To Said Process And Submission, And To Take Such
Other Actions As May Be Reasonably Necessary Incident Thereto”, as prepared by
legal counsel for The Miami County Budget Commission. Addendum #3
- Amounts for participation in the following Federal and State Grant Programs for fiscal year 2005:
FEDERAL - Title I – ESEA $ 85,461.42
Title V – Innovative Programs 5,387.53
Special Education, Part B-Idea 202,526.02
Improving Teacher Quality, Title II-A 34,619.63
Safe and Drug Free Schools Grant 4,570.19
Technology – Title II-D Grant 2,262.31
Total Federal Grants $334,827.10
STATE - Student Intervention $ 26,821.70
SchoolNet Professional Development Fund 2,925.00
OneNet Network Connectivity Subsidy 9,000.00
Ohio Reads Volunteer Coordinator Grant 2,000.00
Total State Grants $ 40,746.70
A. EMPLOYMENT ITEMS:
1. Approval of Heather Lewis and Brandy Norman, as Reading Intervention tutors, at the approved tutor rate of pay, submitted per time sheet on a weekly basis beginning during the week of January 10th, on an as needed basis for the 2004-05 school year only.
2. Approval of Cindy Hirsch’s request for an unpaid leave of absence
on March 21, 22, 23, 2005.
3. Approval of sub teachers who have been approved by the Miami County Educational Service Center and on file in the central office. These are all on an as needed basis for the 2004-05 school year. The board-approved rate of pay has been set at $73.00 per day through 10th consecutive day and $83.00 per day from 11th day through 60 consecutive day, then place on beginning salary schedule.
NEW BUSINESS CONT.:
B. JUNIOR DIAMOND SPORTS PRESENTATION:
Presentation for their request for two (2) additional baseball fields. Junior Diamond Sports presented their proposal to add two additional baseball fields. Information concerning maintenance and number of children anticipated to be involved in the program this year was discussed. The BOE resolved to have Mr. Rappold attend the next Junior Diamond Sports meeting to clarify several items and then present this item again during the February BOE meeting for approval.
C. ACCEPTANCE OF DONATION:
Acceptance of a donation to Miami East High School Academic Team from
Bruns General Contractors.
OTHER INFORMATIONAL ITEMS:
- Children’s Medical Center’s Thank You Letter for the Miami East K-8 toy drive– Addendum #4
- Casstown Fire Department Insurance Letter – Addendum #5
- The Board – “What Makes School Board Service Special” and “Your Role In
Orienting New Board Members” – Addendum #6
- Review Invoice to State of Ohio – The Miami East BOE reviewed information allowing Miami East to join approximately ten other schools across Ohio, which have invoiced the state for needed money to provide an adequate and equitable funding level. The proposed invoice to the State of Ohio for additional funds total $1,791,047. Addendum #7
Review School Resource Officer Contract for 2005-06 School
Year – Addendum #8
Reminder that January 31, 2005 is the deadline for Miami East
Alumni Hall of Fame applications.
- Mr. Rappold presented the Miami East Board of Education certificates of appreciation in recognition of School Board Month.