MIAMI EAST LOCAL SCHOOLS
Regular Board Meeting
Brad Burton, board president,
called the regular meeting to order at ,
held in room 602 at
Roll Call was taken with board members Brad Burton, Mark Davis, Rusty Miller, Lucy Taylor, and Harold Brumfield in attendance.
Also in attendance were: Matt Roth, staff member; Tim Williams, high school principal; Susan Haverkof, Ohio Board of Education member; and Dustin Fisher, Troy Daily Newspaper.
There were no public comments heard.
GOOD NEWS RECOGNITION
Susan Haverkof, Ohio Board of Education member, presented the Miami East Board of Education a banner recognizing the district’s Excellent Rating. Mrs. Haverkof commended the staff and students at Miami East for the time and effort they invested into the classroom. In addition, Mrs. Haverkof recognized the BOE for its leadership and the parents in the district for their support and encouragement.
A. Approval of the minutes of the regular board
B. Approval of the financial statements for September 2007.
C. Review the Five Year Forecast for FY 2008-2012.
D. Approval of the Five-Year Forecast for FY 2008-2012 as presented by
- Farm land rental for 2008 season - Approximately 20-24 acres to be farmed. The BOE agreed to review the farm rental with Mr. Francis and make a decision during the November meeting whether to continue the lease.
- Audit Update – Mr. Sommer
informed the BOE that the auditors have
visited the district twice this year and will be working to complete their
final audit which will be shared with the BOE in the next few months.
- Amounts for participation in the following federal and state grant programs for fiscal year 2008:
Title I - ESEA - $ 88,158.02
Title V - Innovative Programs 1,823.26
Special Education, Part B-IDEA 240,512.88
Improving Teacher Quality, Title II-A 34,456.83
Safe and Drug Free Schools Grant, Title IV 3,508.85
Technology - Title II-D Grant 910.18
TOTAL FEDERAL GRANTS $ 369,370.02
Schoolnet Professional Development Fund- $ 2,925.00
One Net Network Connectivity Subsidy - 9,000.00
A. EMPLOYMENT ITEMS:
1. Approval of the following certificated personnel for upgrade
of degrees, effective at the beginning of the 2007-08 school year, on the approved salary schedules:
Heidi Perry – BS+150 to Masters
Stephanie Larson – BS+150 to Masters
of Monica Justice, as a
at the approved tutor rate of pay, on an as needed basis for
the 2007-08 school year only, submitted
per time sheet on a weekly
3. Approval of an unpaid leave of absence for the following
Loretta Yantis - October 25, 26, & 29, 2007
2007-08 school year:
Freshman Basketball Coach – Tom Meyer – Step 1
Varsity Head Wrestling Coach –
Assistant Wrestling Coach – Rich Randall – Step 6
Volunteer Boys Basketball Assistant Coach – Nathan Deal
Junior High School
8th Grade Boys Basketball Coach
– Todd Stucker – Step 1
8th Grade Girls Basketball Coach – Dean Denlinger – Step 4
Approval of sub teachers who have
been approved by the
central office. These are all on an as needed basis for the 2007-08
school year. The board-approved rate of pay has been set at
$75.00 per day through 10th consecutive days and $83.00 per day
from 11th day through 60 days in the same position, then placed on
beginning salary schedule.
Approval of the bus routes and
times and mileage for
the 2007-08 school year, and on file in the central office, with the
State T-1 report.
7. Approval of an additional classified sub for the balance of
2007-08 school year, on an as needed basis as follows:
Bus Driver: Tracy Faulkner
of Todd Rappold as the 2007-2008 Miami East
Local School District designee to attend the required Ohio Attorney
General’s Public Records Training session.
of the following out-of-state field trip for the
2007-08 school year:
Varsity Girls Softball Team, Gatlinburg, TN. –
10. Approval of the following out-of-state field
trip for the
2007-08 school year:
Varsity Boys Baseball Team,
B. TECHNICAL SUPERVISION SERVICE AGREEMENT W/ROB
Approval of the Technical Supervision Service
Agreement with Rob Trisel and/or Phyllis Daley (alternate contractor), for the 2007-2008
testing of the water
treatment system at
SNOW REMOVAL CONTRACT FOR 2007-08 WITH
Approval of Rush’s Concrete Construction for snow removal,
for schools in the
D. MEMORANDUM OF UNDERTANDING BETWEEN
EAST EDUCATION ASSOCIATION AND THE
BOARD OF EDUCATION:
Approval of this Memorandum Of Understanding intended to address the Elementary Reading Intervention Tutor’s position.
OTHER INFORMATIONAL/DISCUSSION ITEMS:
- The Board – “When You Break The Chain Of Command” –
- This month’s Miami East Education Association Newsletter was shared by Matt Roth, MEEA President.
Board of Education Policy changes.
Several Board of
Education Policy changes were presented as informational items.
These changes are being recommended by Neola, as a result of various
O.R.C. changes and include updates to items such as Public Records
Policy and Anti-Bulling Policy.
- ADM Count – First Full Week of October –
Open Enrollment Students
- Band Equipment Trailer Agreement (Review for November approval)
- Participation in The
- Rough Draft of potential home side varsity bleacher project for summer
of 2008. Mr. Rappold shared several suggestions to replace the home side bleachers during the summer of 2008.
The first Draft of the High School Economics Course of
Study was shared. This revised Economics
course would meet the requirements of the CORE plan and would be a required
semester course for incoming freshman beginning during the 2008-2009 school
year. Mr. Miller suggested that the
topic of retirement be added to the personal finance section.
- Mr. Rappold shared information from a recent Miami East Education Foundation (MEEF) meeting regarding the planned Harvest Festival and the suggestion that a winter school-wide carnival be held in February.
BOARD MEMBERS’ COMMENTS:
- General Discussion(s) Mr. Rappold suggested that the Board of Education schedule a work session during the month of November. The purpose of this work session would be to discuss information that he gathered from a recent Ohio Schools Facilities Commission meeting regarding the potential construction of a new high school facility. BOE members suggested that several dates in November be offered to determine the best time to meet.
ADJOURNMENT: The Board of Education adjourned the meeting at
November 19, 2007 - 7:00 P.M.