MIAMI EAST LOCAL SCHOOLS
Review of November 17, 2008
Regular Board Meeting
Miller, board president, called the regular meeting to order at 7:00 p.m., held
in room 602 at
Roll Call was taken with board members Brad Burton, Mark Davis, Rusty Miller, Lucy Taylor, and Harold Brumfield in attendance.
Also in attendance were: Hannah Long, student; Kyle Havenar, student; and Melanie Yingst, Troy Daily Newspaper.
There were no public comments heard.
GOOD NEWS RECOGNITION
Members from the Miami East FFA described
their recent trip to
Approval of the minutes of the regular
board meeting of October 20, 2008,
as presented by the treasurer.
B. Approval of
the financial statements for October 2008.
C. Approval of Faithful Performance Bonds, in the amount of $50,000 for
the Board President and Superintendent for 2009.
D. Approval of a resolution to declare an “Urgent Necessity” to purchase a new 2009
Bluebird, 54 passenger, transit style, handicap equipped, school bus, and waive bidding requirements. The bus will be purchased to replace Bus #01, which was totaled in an accident on October 30, 2008.
E. Approval of a lease agreement for farm land rental for the 2009 season with Brian Francis, for 20 (+/-) acres to be farmed at $125.00/acre.
F. OTHER – INFORMATIONAL ITEMS:
- Mr. Sommer shared this updated School Income Tax Revenues.
The Board of Education approved to hold the Records Commission Meeting
on December 16, 2008 at 6:30 p.m., which will precede the regularly scheduled
monthly board meeting.
TREASURER’S REPORT CONT:
The Board approved holding its annual Re-Organizational Meeting and
Alternative Budget Document Review on January 13, 2009.
effective at the beginning of the 2008-09 school year, on the approved
Jennifer Ziegenbusch – BS + 150 to Masters
2. Approval of the following supplemental contracts for the 2008-09
Volunteer Girls Basketball Assistant – Scott Lanning
Junior High School
Boys Basketball – Richard Beard – Step 6
3. Approval of additional classified subs for the 2008-09 school year,
on an as needed basis as follows for the following classification:
Amy Moore – Bus Driver, effective
Dawn Brown –Assistant Cook and Aide
4. Approval to place Chelsey Gartser on the
substitute teacher pay scale,
instead of the first year teaching pay scale, effective November 3,
5. Approval of sub teachers who have been
approved by the
all on an as needed basis for the 2008-09 school year. The board
approved rate of pay has been set at $75.00 per day through 10th consecutive
days and $83.00 per day from 11th day through 60 days in the same position,
then placed on beginning salary schedule.
B. 2008-2009 MIAMI EAST BOARD OF EDUCATION GOALS :
C. APPROVAL OF BOARD POLICY CHANGES PER NEOLA:
Approval of the Board of Education Policy changes as recommended by Neola, as a result of various O.R.C. changes. These include updates to items such as courses of study, background checks, and vendor background checks.
D. AUTHORIZED AGENT RELATIVE TO THE
PUBLIC ASSISTANCE GRANT PROGRAM:
Approval to authorize
OTHER INFORMATIONAL/DISCUSSION ITEMS:
- Mr. Rappold shared this month’s installment of The Board – “Seven Attitudes Held by
Effective Board Members”
shared a professional development offering for BOE members to attend The
Graduate Academy for Community Leadership
- The district is beginning the process to adopt Science textbooks this spring in grades K-12. Mr. Rappold shared the district-wide Science Textbook Adoption Timeline and Rubric. Samples of various textbooks have been requested and committee members will begin reviewing textbooks and identifying the alignment of these books with the benchmarks and courses of study.
- A Thank you letter written to Board of
Education on behalf of the FFA was shared
with the Board members thanking the BOE for approving their trip to the National
- A Thank you letter was written to the Miami County Sheriff’s
Department for their
donation of the Freedom Flag.
- November 4th Election Results –
Mr. Rappold shared election results from across the
committee and Dr. Jim Daniel for all the time and effort they devoted this fall to the
BOARD MEMBERS’ COMMENTS:
- General Discussion(s)
ADJOURNMENT: The meeting adjourned at 8:30 p.m.
December 16, 2008